- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- Free hardware application: Do I have to submit a project entry if I receive free hardware?
- Free hardware application: How many free hardware are available?
- Free hardware application: How many ideas can I submit?
- Free hardware application: I was notified that I was selected to receive one of free hardware. When will I receive it?
- Free hardware application: What happens if I receive free hardware and do not submit a project entry?
- Free hardware application: What kind of idea is more likely to win free hardware?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
Participants who receive free hardware and do not submit a project may be ineligible for future giveaways unless the hardware is returned.
If you receive free hardware and become unable to submit a project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know as soon as possible. We may choose to arrange for the hardware to be shipped to another participant.
To be eligible for judging, an entry must meet the following content/technical requirements: To win a free SensorTile Development Kit:
- You must create a free Hackster.io account and register as a participant for this contest.
- Your original idea must be submitted via the idea form.
- Ideas should be submitted in the English language.
- Your idea must include use of the SensorTile Development Kit
To win one of the Grand Prizes:
- Your project must be created using a SensorTile Development Kit
- Your project must be relevant to the theme of the contest.
- Your final project must be fully documented on Hackster with the project template.
- Your final project must be submitted using the project template.
- Your final project documentation must include the following:
f) CAD (if relevant to the project)
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
Winners are selected based on the following criteria:
Project Documentation (60 points)
- Story/Instructions - Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or video
- BOM – Detail the hardware components as well as apps you used
- Schematics – Use software like Fritzing.org, draw your circuit diagrams, detailed photographs
- Code – Include working code with helpful comments
- CAD - showcase your complete vision with beautiful CAD designs, powered by Fusion 360
- Great photographs, videos, and screenshots are worth a thousand words. Ask yourself: "If I were a beginner reading this project, would I understand how to recreate it?"
- Project must clearly address the contest theme
Creativity (40 points)
- Your idea doesn't have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea).
- We're giving away $100 via PayPal for the best 50 projects! (50 are available)
- HomePod is Apple's new smart speaker that sounds amazing, works with your home, and responds to Siri. (10 are available)
How to apply for a free SensorTile Development Kit
- Submit your idea by Aug 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
- If you are not already a member, you will need to create a free Hackster.io account.
- Register for the contest by clicking "Register as a participant" on the main contest page.
- Submit your idea by clicking "Apply to receive a SensorTile Development Kit" and fill in the form.
- Teams of up to 3 people are allowed.
- Participant agrees to pay local tax at customs if applicable in order to receive the free SensorTile Development Kit
- Please wait a few days while we review and judge your idea submission.
How to submit your project to be eligible to win one of the grand prizes:
*You can submit a project even if you didn't win a free SensorTile Development Kit
- Build and submit your project by Nov 1, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
- Build your project using the SensorTile Development Kit
- Add a new project by clicking the + symbol at the top right side of the screen and following the submission template.
- Share detailed instructions with images in the story section
- Share the bill of materials
- Share the electronics schematics
- Share the source code (optionally via Github or Bitbucket)
- Share the CAD files (if relevant)
July 26, 2017 at 8:00 AM PT
Applications for hardware close:
August 29, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
November 1, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT
November 16, 2017
Winners of free hardware will be announced individually by email on a rolling basis.
Contest winners will be announced on November 16, 2017. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are a hobbyist or professional in the field of technology development and
- If you are considered a minor in your place of residence, then you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this challenge.
- You MUST be a US Resident
- You are NOT a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria; and
- US. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this Challenge; and
- You are not an immediate family member of (parent, sibling, spouse/domestic partner, child) or household member of a Hackster employee;
- You are not an STMicroelectronics employee
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.