You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are at least 13 years of age
If you are considered a minor in your place of residence, then you must receive a legal guardian's permission prior to submitting an entry into this challenge. Send the completed contest permission form to email@example.com.
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria
US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this Challenge
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster employee.
To be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL of the following requirements unless otherwise stated:1. General Requirements
- You must be registered as a participant for this contest
- Your entry must be your own original work
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest
- Your team is no more than 5 members per entry
Note: If you choose to submit an idea for the chance at free hardware, you must meet the following requirements, otherwise jump to #3 below.
- Your idea must be submitted via the idea form found in the contest brief
- Your idea must be written in English
- Your idea must use the Rapid IoT Prototyping Kit
- Your idea must solve a problem related to IoT
- Your project must be created using the Rapid IoT Prototyping Kit
- Your project must be related to IoT
- Your project must solve a problem related to IoT
- Your project must include a project name, elevator pitch (short project description), cover image, bill of materials (BOM), full instructions, images, and relevant resource files (schematics, code, CAD)
- Your project must be written in English
Your project is judged out of a maximum of 100 points
- Project Documentation (45 points)
Story/Instructions - Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or a video demonstration of your solution working as intended. Great photographs, videos, and screenshots are worth a thousand words. Ask yourself: “If I were a beginner reading this project, would I understand how to recreate it?”
- Integration of NXP Solutions (15 points)
Detail the hardware components and any apps you used
- Schematics (10 points)
Use software like Fritzing.org, draw your circuit diagrams, and/or take detailed photographs
- Code & Contribution (15 points)
Include working code with helpful comments
- Creativity (15 points)
Your idea doesn’t have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea)
How to enter
Step 1: Register for the contest
- Start by creating a free account on Hackster.io (or sign-in if already a member)
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as participant”
Step 2: Build and document your project
- Build your project using Rapid IoT Prototyping Kit according to the submission requirements
- Document your project build on Hackster by clicking “create new project” or submit a previously created project by clicking “add existing project”.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements
- Submit your project by February 28th by clicking “review and submit project”
Common Terms Used in These Rules
These are the Official Rules that govern how the Revolutionize Your IoT Prototyping contest will operate (“Contest”). In these rules, “we,” “our”, and “us” refer to Hackster and/or the contest host. “You” and “yourself” refer to an eligible contest participant.
This is a skill-based contest, brought to you by Hackster.io, and sponsored by NXP. The object of this contest is to develop IoT solutions using the/a/an Rapid IoT Prototyping Kit. For the purposes of this Contest, each solution or idea you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry”. All eligible entries received will be judged using the judging criteria above to determine the prize winners.
What are the Start and End Dates?
This Contest starts at October 16th 8:00 AM PST and ends at February 28th 2019 11:59 PM PST and will consist of the following periods:.
- Contest Projects Submission Period: October 16th starting 8:00 AM PST thru February 28th 2019 ending 11:59 PM PST.
- Winners will be announced on March 8th, 2019.
Note: Contest end dates are at our sole discretion and may be subject to change.
Can I Enter?
If your participation violates ANY of the following bullet points, you may be disqualified.
- Your entry must be your own original work
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest
- You must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry
- Your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials
- Your entry must comply with your employer’s gift policies
Entries may NOT contain ANY of the following content, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion.
- Content that is sexually explicit
- Content that is unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group
- Content that is profane or pornographic
- Content that promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda
- Content that is obscene or offensive
- Content that defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies
- Content that communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate
- Content that violates any law.
We reserve the right to reject an entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine contains any of the above content.
Important note about Copyright: Your entire entry must only include material (including hardware, source code – both open source and third party sourced, user interface, music, video or images) that you own or that you have permission from the copyright/trademark owner to use. Your team’s entry may not include copyrighted materials (such as source code, user interface, background music, images or video) unless you own or have permission to use the materials. Ownership is not defined as purchasing a CD at a music store for replay, if playing a copyrighted recording on your guitar or repurposing an application’s user interface – your entry will be disqualified if copyrighted materials, including but not limited to these examples, are a part of your entry without appropriate licensing or permissions. If you do use permissible copyrighted materials, you must include the permissions information by citing the artist/creator and license information as per the respective Challenge Rules. Note that even material released under sites such as Creative Commons, common open source code licenses, and other similar licensing may need permission or acknowledgement as per the specific license.
Note: your team’s entry will be disqualified if permissions information is not included as per the requirements in the specific Challenge Rules.
How will my entry be potentially used?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you agree to ALL of the following statements.
- You grant us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed)
- You agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above
- You understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry
- You understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law
- You understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry. If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
How Are Prizes Awarded?
Limit one (1) prize per person or team. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described in the contest brief.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up. If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest. If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you complete a tax form, you will be issued an IRS Form 1099 the following January, for the actual value of the prize. You are advised to seek independent counsel regarding the tax implications of accepting a prize. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest, the following rules apply.
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up.
- You will be solely responsible for all applicable federal, state, and local taxes related to accepting the prize, if you choose to accept the prize.
- If you are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf.
Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and/or terms and conditions.
What Other Conditions am I Agreeing to by Entering?
By entering this Contest you are agreeing to the following statements.
- You agree to abide by these Official Rules
- You agree to release and hold harmless Hackster, NXP and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won;
- You agree that Hackster’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest;
- You agree that, by accepting a prize, Hackster may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
What Laws Govern the Way This Contest is Executed and Administered?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of California, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
What if Something Unexpected Happens and the Contest Can Not Run as Planned?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, bot, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt, or we have strong reason to believe that you have compromised the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by cheating, hacking, creating a bot or other automated program, or by committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may disqualify you, and ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.