- Did I win the contest? When will I receive my prize?
- Free hardware application: Do I have to submit a project entry if I receive free hardware?
- Free hardware application: How many free devices are available?
- Free hardware application: How many ideas can I submit?
- Free hardware application: I was notified that I was selected to receive one of free devices. When will I receive it?
- Free hardware application: What happens if I receive free hardware and do not submit a project entry?
- Free hardware application: What kind of idea is more likely to win free hardware?
- I submitted my project but it says "Awaiting moderation". Will it affect my eligibility?
- My project is locked and I can't edit it anymore. Why is that?
- Somebody copied my entry! What can I do?
- What are the entry requirements?
- What are the judging criteria?
- What are the prizes?
- What are the steps to enter the contest?
- What is the contest timeline?
- When will winners be announced? Where can I see the list?
- Who is eligible to participate?
- Can I join the Plug-in Partner Program without a Camera?
- Can I participate with a THETA S or THETA SC?
- Can I submit a plug-in to the contest without a camera?
- Is it possible to connect to external devices using USB?
- What is the CPU, GPU, RAM and Flash Storage Used in the RICOH THETA V?
If you are a winner, we will contact you directly via email to arrange the shipment of your prize.
Participants who receive free hardware and do not submit a project may be ineligible for future giveaways unless the hardware is returned.
If you receive free hardware and become unable to submit a project, please contact us at email@example.com and let us know as soon as possible. We may choose to arrange for the hardware to be shipped to another participant.
To be eligible for judging, you must meet ALL of the following requirements unless otherwise stated:
- You must be registered as a participant for this contest.
- You must create a THETA Partner Program account and you must begin to submit your entry to the THETA Store.
- Your entry must be your own original work but can be substantially based on SDK example code, open source code or other examples.
- Your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest.
- Your team is no more than 5 members per entry.*
*By entering a submission to this contest on behalf of a team, you acknowledge that you are the designated representative authorized to act on behalf of your team. (See full rules below for details)
Hardware Application Requirements
Note: If you choose to submit an application for free hardware, you must meet the following requirements. If not, continue to 'Hardware/Software Build Requirements' below.
- Your hardware application must be submitted via the online application form found on the contest page’s “apply for hardware” tab.
- Your hardware application must be written in English.
- Your hardware application must use the RICOH THETA V.
- Your hardware application must solve a problem related to the contest.
- Your hardware application must be submitted by Apr 16, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT.
Hardware/Software Build Requirements
- Your project must be created using the RICOH THETA V or RICOH THETA Z1.
- Your project must solve a problem related to the contest.
Project Documentation Requirements
- Your project must include a project name, short project description, cover image, usage instructions, images, and plug-in apk (Android application file).
- Your project must be written in English.
- Your project must be submitted by Jul 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT.
Your project will be judged according to the rubric below.
- Project Documentation (34 points)
Story/Instructions - Show how you created your project, including images, screenshots, and/or a video demonstration of your solution working as intended. Ask yourself: “If I were a beginner reading this project, would I understand how to recreate it?”
- apk Submission (33 points)
Functional Android Application Package (apk) must be submitted to the THETA Plug-in Store by the contest deadline.
- Creativity (33 points)
Your idea doesn’t have to be original, but it should be creative (a fresh take on an old idea is often worth as much as a brand new idea).
- 1st Place: HTC - VIVE Pro Headset (HMD Only)
- 2nd Place: DJI - Mavic Air Quadcopter with Remote Controller - Onyx Black
- 3rd Place: Amazon Gift Card
- 1st Place: THETA Action Accessories Pack
- 2nd Place: Raspberry Pi Learning Pack
- 3rd Place: Amazon Gift Card
- 1st Place: Google Pixel Slate 8th Gen Intel® Core™ m3 Processor 8GB RAM 64GB Storage
- 2nd Place: Ricoh GR II Digital Camera with 3-Inch LCD (Black)
- 3rd Place: Oculus Go - 64GB Stand-Alone Virtual Reality Headset plus Case - Black
- 1st Place: Amazon Gift Card
- 2nd Place: Amazon Gift Card
- 3rd Place: Amazon Gift Card
Important: Your Plug-in must have begun the submission process to in the THETA Store to win.
Step 1: Register for the Contest
- Start by creating a free account on either Hackster.io or community.theta360.guide (or sign-in if already a member)
- Register for the contest by clicking “Register as a participant" or if you're on theta360.guide, post your intention to participate in the contest in the Dream and Build category.
- Create a free THETA Partner Program account unless you already have an account.
Step 2: Build and Document Your Project
- Build your project according to the submission requirements.
- Document your project build with one of two methods:
- Method 1 (can be private): using Hackster’s project template. To create a new project, click “create new project” on the contest page or the “+” symbol in the top right corner of your Hackster page.
- Method 2 (public): Describe your project and publish your project to theta360.guide Dream and Build category. IMPORTANT: If you post it to the community, your submission will be available to any registered user to read.
Step 3: Review and submit your project
- Review your project and make sure it meets all the submission requirements. Important: Your project must have begun the submission process to the THETA Store.
Use one of the following methods:
Method 1 through hackster.io
- Upload a previously created project by clicking “add existing project” on the contest page.
- Submit your project by Jul 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT by clicking “review and submit project” on the contest page.
Method 2 through theta360.guide
- You can fulfill the submission requirements by posting your project to the Dream and Build category.
March 20, 2019 at 8:00 AM PT
Applications for hardware close:
April 16, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
Hardware recipients announced:
April 19, 2019
July 23, 2019 at 11:59 PM PT
August 7, 2019
free devices winners will be announced by April 19, 2019. The list of winners will be visible on the Ideas tab.
Contest winners will be announced on August 7, 2019. The list of winners will be visible on the main page (Contest brief).
You are eligible to enter if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are at least 13 years of age
If you are 12 years or younger, you must receive a legal guardian's permission and have them complete Hackster’s contest permission form prior to submitting an entry into this contest. Send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You are not a resident of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria
US export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to the countries listed above, therefore residents of these countries are not eligible to participate in this challenge.
- You are not involved in the execution or administration of this contest.
- You are not an immediate family member or household member of a Hackster employee.
Yes, scroll to the bottom of this document:
You need a THETA V or a THETA Z1 to participate in the contest. The THETA S and THETA SC models cannot run plug-ins.
Yes, you can use the no-camera-template. Please see these articles:
Yes, THETA can be attached to feature-specific devices like a GPS module using an OTG cable connector. However, for the purposes of this Dream and Build THETA contest, the Android-based plug-in architecture of the RICOH THETA does not give a way to set permissions using USB data transfer without interaction on a screen. For a developer, this is not an issue, as tools like Vysor can be used. However, the goal of the contest is to create a functioning plug-in that an end user can download and install. This is not possible.
See this link:
- APQ8053 (Snapdragon 625)
- CPU: Cortex A-53 x8
- GPU: Qualcomm AdrenoTM 506
- 3GB LPDDR3 SDRAM, 32GB eMMC
- WLAN/BT (2 models)
- 2.4GHz (1-11ch) only
- 2.4GHz(1-11ch) + 5GHz(W52)
- 12MP CMOS x2, 4ch MEMS microphones, 1ch speaker
A link to that section is also available on community.theta360.guide
Couldn't find an answer to your question? Email us.